Photos  |  Video

Michael C. Hoefle, St. Charles County Sheriff’s Department

On the night of Feb. 15, 2013, while patrolling near West Alton, Deputy Hoefle (Hay-flee) watched a car speed into a parking area near the Mississippi River. As Deputy Hoefle moved toward the vehicle, it drove over parking blocks and into the river. The vehicle began sinking 50 feet from the shore. The lone occupant, a woman crawled to the back seat and attempted to kick out a rear window as the car continued to sink. Water was filling the passenger compartment. Deputy Hoefle entered the water, got to the vehicle, used his window punch to break out the rear window and quickly extracted the woman from the vehicle. He then pulled her to the shore and out of the frigid water into the 30-degree air. The driver was transported to a hospital and treated for hypothermia. On a cold, dark night, along a deserted stretch of the Mississippi River, Deputy Sheriff Michael C. Hay-flee was the difference between life and death. He bravely and decisively acted without hesitation, risking his own life to save the life of another.

Brock E. Kelley, Independence Police Department

On April 7, 2013, Officer Kelley and another Independence Police officer responded to the Econo Lodge on 42nd Terrace for a reported theft at the motel. Upon arrival, employees directed the officers to two men outside the motel who had allegedly been stealing items from a guest room. As the officers approached, one of the suspects ran. The officers pursued on foot. After rounding a corner of the building, the suspect drew a handgun and began shooting at the officers. Officer Kelley was so close he felt the muzzle flash from the gunman’s weapon on his face and arm. The gunman continued firing a total of 13 shots at the officers. Officer Kelley fired three rounds from his service weapon, striking the gunman. During what originated as a routine police call, Officer Brock E. Kelley faced a life-or-death threat to himself, his fellow officer and motel employees and guests. Under fire, he acted swiftly to eliminate a deadly threat to himself, his fellow officer and the public.

Daniel J. Johnson and Jason W. Philpott, Missouri State Highway Patrol

In the early morning hours of April 18, 2013, Douglas County was inundated following prolonged and heavy rainfall. Flash flooding swamped low-lying areas. At 8:10 a.m., Troopers Johnson and Philpott responded to a call for an elderly couple trapped in the mobile home near Route A and County Road 409. Water was entering the residence and quickly rising. Troopers Johnson and Philpott launched a Patrol boat, got to the home, outfitted the couple with personal flotation devices and placed them into the rescue boat. As they pulled away, the vessel’s motor stalled after the propeller became entangled in barbed wire. The vessel began turning and taking on water in the swift current. The troopers paddled vigorously, attempting to get to a nearby outbuilding, but the boat capsized. All four occupants began drifting downstream in the swift moving water, headed toward a certain crash into a flooded concrete bridge. Troopers Johnson and Philpott each swam to and retrieved the elderly couple. Once they had them, they swam against the swift current and brought them to shore, just a few feet from the edge of the concrete bridge. In turbulent and swirling waters, Troopers Johnson and Philpott remained steady, calm and vigilant, saving the lives of the couple they had been dispatched to rescue.

Justin Glen Wooten, Scott County Sheriff’s Department

At approximately 2:30 a.m. on May 25, 2013, Deputy Wooten responded to a chaotic scene: two freight trains had collided and derailed, collapsing the Route M overpass near Rockview in Scott County. A diesel fire lit the night sky for miles around. A total of seven people were injured in both automobiles on the buckled overpass and the engine of one of the trains, which was burning. The two-man train crew was trapped inside the crumpled engine with the fire growing. Without hesitation or regard for his own safety, Deputy Wooten climbed into the overturned engine and single handedly extricated the engineer and conductor, who were unable to get out on their own. Freeing one of the men, a diabetic, who was immobile, required locating an alternate exit as flames neared the train’s fuel tanks. With the victims out, Deputy Wooten and arriving medical personnel moved them down a steep incline to a safe area away from the crash scene. In a perilous situation, with a train on fire and victims trapped, Deputy Sheriff Wooten calmly and with great dispatch located and, despite all obstacles, pulled two men out of harm’s way to safety.

Kyle M. Weiss, Pevely Police Department; and Nina M. Osia and Michael T. Toombs, Jefferson County Sheriff's Office

In the early morning hours of Oct. 11, 2013, Sheriff’s Deputies Osia and Toombs received permission to search a residence in rural Jefferson County where a man was wanted for a felony and fugitive warrant. As Deputy Osia walked down the stairs into the basement, she spotted a gunman crouched with an AK-47 semi-automatic rifle. Deputy Osia attempted to push Deputy Toombs, who was behind her, and yelled, “He’s got a gun!” The gunman began firing at both deputies, hitting Deputy Osia in her leg and knocking her to the floor. Deputy Toombs quickly began to drag Deputy Osia out of the line of fire while returning fire at the gunman. Deputy Toombs was then struck in the left arm by at least two bullets from the gunman. Both deputies worked to cover one another as they returned fire, and they administered first aid to each other. They radioed for backup units, but the gunman escaped. Six hours later, Pevely Police Officer Kyle Weiss was one of five officers who responded to a residence just a few blocks away from the original scene after receiving a tip. Officer (now Sergeant) Weiss was stationed in front of the house. As an entry team cleared a barricaded room, the gunman broke out a window and ran out of the house. Officer Weiss saw the gunman approaching and ordered him to stop and drop his weapon. Instead, he turned toward Weiss and raised his weapon to fire. To protect his own life and the safety of others, Officer Weiss fired two shots, fatally wounding the gunman. While under fire and wounded, deputies Oh-she and Toombs, who combined had just 12 months experience as deputies, acted as a team to protect each other and responding officers. Hours later, Officer Weiss did not retreat to cover but instead eliminated an immediate threat to him and the public.

Jay Brad King and Jason D. Sederwall, Jefferson City Police Department

On Dec. 10, 2013, a Jeep involved in a two-car collision on Highway 94 burst into flames, trapping the driver. Her legs and hips pinned and her legs were burning. Officer King (now a deputy with the Washington County (Ore.) Sheriff’s Department) was first on the scene, encountering flames shooting 10 feet above the car. He and Officer Sederwall (Cedar-wall), second on the scene, attempted to put out the blaze with their fire extinguishers. With no fire personnel on scene, the officers concentrated on protecting the victim’s legs as their extinguishers ran dry. Unable to open either of the driver’s side doors due to damage, Officer King used his ASP baton to break out the windows to evacuate the smoke from the passenger compartment so the victim could breathe. Entering from the right rear door, Officer King, despite his 7-foot-1 and 320-pound frame, crawled into the back of the Jeep, alternating between attempting to extricate and comfort the victim. Officer Sederwall continued assisting while positioned at the rear passenger door until firefighters arrived, extinguished the blaze and cut the victim from the wreckage. She had suffered third-degree burns to almost half her body, fractured bones, a collapsed lung and pneumonia. Firefighters agreed that if not for the efforts of officers King and Sederwall, she would not have survived.

David W. Crank, Missouri State Highway Patrol

On the night of March 10, 2012, Trooper Crank initiated a traffic stop of an SUV on I-55 in New Madrid County. There was a strong odor of raw marijuana in the SUV, which had four occupants. The driver was cooperative and exited the vehicle and accompanied Crank to his patrol car. Crank returned to the SUV to obtain IDs from the three passengers, but they denied having IDs. Crank then requested backup. When Corporal Jeremy Stewart arrived, he and Crank approached the SUV and requested the passengers exit the vehicle one at a time. One did so. The passenger in the front passenger seat refused to comply and immediately locked the door. Crank saw the front seat passenger reach between the seat and center console. Crank alerted Stewart and drew his service weapon. Stewart opened the driver's side door and the passenger fired a single shot, striking Stewart in the neck. To protect Corporal Stewart and himself, Trooper Crank fired repeatedly at the passenger, killing the gunman. On a dark highway, in a perilous situation, Trooper Crank acted swiftly to eliminate a deadly threat and protect his wounded colleague. Corporal Stewart underwent surgery, made a full recovery and returned to duty.